The Alpert Medical School/Brown University Internal Medicine Residency Programs commit to adhere to the Association of Program Directors in Internal Medicine (APDIM) Position on Post-Interview Applicant-Program Communication. An applicant’s primary variable to consider in crafting their rank list is whether or not a program meets that applicant’s needs as a prospective intern. We respect that important spirit of the Match. We provide below a summary description of our implementation at Brown. The full text of the APDIM Position Paper can be found here.
- Interviewers or program directors will only communicate with applicants following their interview at Brown in order to tie up “loose ends” – provide information in follow-up, contact information with a local researcher, etc.
- Our program will not communicate with applicants in a manner that makes reference to ranking, “fit”, or likelihood of matching.
- We discourage thank you notes or e-mails from interviewed applicants on the basis that such communication often places undue worry or expectations on students. Such communication will not routinely receive a reply.
- Please note, however, that we welcome contacts requesting information or clarification.
- Thank you notes from applicants will not be construed by us as a violation of this policy or in any negative way whatsoever. We simply do not want applicants to feel any pressure to send such communication.
- Interviewed applicants with objective questions about the program (e.g. number of required months of ICU experience; availability of opportunities for community service, etc.) should direct those questions only to email@example.com. Program staff will either (a) respond directly to the applicant, (b) direct the query to the program director or chief resident best-suited to respond, or (c) include a response in a routine query response digest/update sent monthly during the interview season to ALL applicants. This practice ensures fairness, accuracy and consistency of response.
- Program Directors, Program Administrator, Chief Residents will share responsibility for responding to applicant questions and directing questions to relevant staff for answers.
- Brown Minority Housestaff Association (BMHA) or other house staff communication is not addressed in this policy and will continue as per the needs of applicants and housestaff.